Resources for 09-11 March 2021 Workshop
I'm doing an on-site workshop in early March 2021. As part of the program, I promised the hosts I'd publish a list of pre-course study materials. This post serves as a landing place for those resources.
Let's get this out of the way: We are gonna talk about weird shit in this workshop.
Here's some advice to gain some momentum in preparation: Pre-workshop study. Think of it as homework. In what follows, I've done my best to categorize some resources, describe them, & put them into a rough hierarchy.
DAMNED-NEAR REQUIRED. If you're tight on time, at least get this stuff knocked out. You'll thank me later:
- VIDEO; 20-minutes; Do Schools Kill Creativity? by Sir Ken Robinson.
- VIDEO; 9-minutes; The Cynefin Framework by Dave Snowden.
- VIDEO; 26-minutes; Using Complex Adaptive Systems Thinking by Dr Charles Macal.
- BLOG; Team of Teams: A Leadership Model for a Complex World, by Dan Snelson.
- BLOG; The Tao of Boyd: How to Master the OODA Loop by Art of Manliness.
- BLOG; To Prepare for Every Possible Outcome, Try Red Teaming, by Sean Hannah.
- BLOG; The Illinois Model Summary by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; EQ: The Diversity of Emotional Intelligence in Policing by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; How the Germans Defined Auftragstaktik by Don Vandergriff.
- BLOG; Capturing the Moment: Counter-VUCA Leadership for 21st Century Policing.
- PODCAST; 28-minutes; Situational Awareness / Left of Bang, with Patrick VanHorne.
- PODCAST; 60-minutes; Using Mental Models to Make Better Decisions with Shane Parrish.
- BLOG; Case Detectives vs Pattern Detectives, by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; The Dog That Didn't Bark, by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; The Biggest Hurdle for Tech in Policing, by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; (How) Can Cynefin Help the Police Criminal Intelligence Community, by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; Criminal Investigations Through the Lens of Complexity...., by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; The Doctor in SWAT School, by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; Team Tactical Skills & Simple Machines, by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; Bastardizing Training, by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; Classically-Trained Firearms Instructors & 21st Century Learning Principles, Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; First Principles: The Building Blocks of True Knowledge, by Farnam Street.
- VIDEO; 63-minutes; How We Learn Versus How We Think We Learn, with Dr Robert Bjork.
- VIDEO; 71-minutes; How Leaders Change Culture Through Small Actions, with Dave Snowden.
- WEBSITE; Law Enforcement & Security Consulting, with Fred Leland.
- WEBSITE; Farnam Street, with Shane Parrish.
- WEBSITE; The Illinois Model, with Lou Hayes Jr.
- WEBSITE; More Beyond, with Sonja Blignaut.
IN CASE THE CYNEFIN THING HAS YOU ALL CONFUSED. Don't worry, we are all still confused:
- BLOG; A Leader's Framework for Decision-Making by Dave Snowden & Mary Boone.
- VIDEO; 4-minutes; Making Sense of Complexity by Jennifer Garvey Berger.
- BLOG; Cynefin 101 - An Introduction, by Greg Brougham.
FOR DEEPER INSIGHT INTO THE ILLINOIS MODEL FRAMEWORK. At least the policing side of the framework:
- SERIES; 77-pages; Command, Tactical, & Weapons Training Model by Lou Hayes Jr & others.
- BLOG SERIES; Incident Command by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; Is Evidence-Based Policing...Academic Bullshit? by Lou Hayes Jr.
- BLOG; Incident Strategy & Tactics: The Baby Diaper Analogy by Lou Hayes Jr.
FOR THOSE WITH A MAN-CRUSH ON JOHN BOYD. You know...the OODA Loop guy:
- PODCAST; 40-minutes; The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War, with Robert Coram.
- PAPER; Destruction & Creation by John Boyd.
- SLIDESHOW; Patterns of Conflict by John Boyd.
- VIDEO; 2-hours; OODAZoom 001.
- LINKS; Resources & Links to Learn More About OODA, on The Illinois Model.
- BOOKS; There are also two (2) books included below.
- Left of Bang, by Patrick VanHorne & Jason Riley
- Team of Teams, by Stanley McChrystal. (Read it, don't listen to it.)
- Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed The Art of War, by Robert Coram
- One Mission, by Christopher Fussell. (Read Team of Teams first!)
- The Neo-Generalist, by Richard Martin & Kenneth Mikkelsen.
- Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive & Others Die, by Chip & Dan Heath
- Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World, by David Epstein.
- Science, Strategy, & War: The Strategic Theory of John Boyd, by Frans Osinga. (You better really love the Boyd stuff, because this is NOT for the beginner tinkerer of Boyd.)
For those of you who have attended my classes or workshops, what would you add to this list? Post to comments!
This list could have easily been hundreds of articles, videos, podcasts, blogs, books. I've boiled it down to what I feel is a good benchmark for the early stages of a lifelong journey of learning about complexity, sense-making, adaptability, & decision-making.
What I can't stress enough: If there's something you want to explore in more depth, just reach out to me. A google search will gather a lot of responses, but I might be able to narrow things down based on what interests or confuses you. (And LinkedIn is really the best way to reach me.)